Real Mushrooms is committed to transparency, quality, and the utmost care in providing our customers with accurate knowledge. Our Science & Medical team ensures our products and the information about them meet the highest standards.
SCIENCE & MEDICAL TEAM
Dr. Mason Bresett, ND
Mason is a Naturopathic Doctor and Real Mushrooms’ Chief Science Advisor. He has a general family naturopathic practice in Sarnia, Ontario – The Health Creation Lab. He uses medicinal mushrooms, herbal medicine, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, nutrition, and mind-body medicine in his clinic to support his patients. He continues to provide up-to-date research and education for Real Mushrooms Practitioners – a group of health care professionals (MD’s, ND’s, DC’s, etc) using Real Mushrooms products in their practices. He is also actively working with medical doctors and oncologists setting up research studies using medicinal mushroom extracts.
Mason’s expertise helps us deliver the most accurate and trustworthy health and wellness information from a holistic perspective. His knowledge of plant medicine runs deep and he is passionate about helping the public discover the wonders and benefits of the plant and fungi world.
- Diploma of Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine
- Licensed naturopathic doctor in Ontario
- Bachelors of Kinesiology (Honours), Lakehead University
- Integrative Body Psychotherapy (In Progress; IBP is an integrative counseling approach using somatic therapy, breathwork, and mind-body medicine).
- Compassionate Inquiry (Dr. Gabor Mate)
- Smart Body, Smart Mind (Irene Lyon)
- Trauma-Informed Practitioner
- Internships in sports medicine, chronic illness, immune disorders, HIV, and mental health-focused care.
- Former practitioner educator for St. Francis Herb Farm
Dr. Robert Silver, DVM, MS
Dr. Robert Silver graduated in 1982 from Colorado State’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He established one of the first integrative vet clinics in the USA in Boulder, CO in 1993.
Since then, Dr. Silver has become a nationally recognized expert in veterinary herbal and nutraceutical medicines, medicinal mushrooms, veterinary CBD and cannabis therapeutics. He has adjunct faculty positions at Lincoln Memorial University, College of Veterinary Medicine, and Chi University, a College of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Silver has published a peer-reviewed paper on the Endocannabinoid System of Animals, and three chapters in the textbook: Cannabis Therapy in Veterinary Medicine. He co-authored the chapter Cannabis in Veterinary Medicine: Cannabinoid Therapies for Animals in the Springer Nature publication, Nutraceuticals in Veterinary Medicine. His first book, Medical Marijuana and Your Pet was published in 2014. His soon to be published book for pet parents and citizen scientists: Pet Health Guide to Cannabis and Medicinal Mushrooms is scheduled to be released Fall/Winter 2022.
Dr. Silver brings to the Real Mushrooms Science Team 40 years of practical clinical experience treating small and large animals with diet, acupuncture, nutraceuticals, botanicals and medicinal mushrooms.
Joni Kamlet, RVT, CCRA
Joni Kamlet is a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) and a Certified Canine Rehabilitation Assistant (CCRA) through The Canine Rehabilitation Institute. She also has her certification in Applied Clinical Nutrition (for humans) through Life Chiropractic College.
Joni is passionate about integrative medicine for both animals and humans. Joni worked at integrative veterinary practices in Northern Ca from 2002-2005. She then utilized her CCRA credentials at The Canine Rehabilitation Center in Walnut Creek, Ca. from 2005-2011.
For the past decade, Joni has worked in the supplement industry, teaching veterinarians & pet parents about holistic options. Her experience encompasses nutrition, canine rehabilitation, western herbal medicine, functional medicine, laser therapy, energy medicine and her favorite modality, therapeutic mushrooms! She is always learning, and loves building community through education.
In her spare time Joni practices meditation, and volunteers with Embracing the World.
Jeff is the founder, president and CEO of Nammex as well as being Real Mushrooms’ founder, Skye Chilton’s, father. Jeff has been actively involved in studying, growing and researching mushrooms since 1973. In 1989, he founded Nammex, the leading supplier of functional organic mushroom ingredients to the Supplement, Nutraceutical and Food and Beverage industry. Throughout his career, Jeff has continually focused on quality. His published research on the medicinal compounds in mushrooms and his focus on developing testing methods to identify and measure these compounds has helped bring greater knowledge and integrity to the functional mushroom product category. His expertise in mushroom science, cultivation, and quality control helps Real Mushrooms deliver not only the highest quality products but the most reliable information about the medicinal constituents in mushrooms.
- Studied Ethno-mycology at the University of Washington, 1971
- Large scale commercial mushroom grower – Production manager 1973-1983
- Fellowship to the Dutch School for Mushroom Growers in 1976
- Founder and CEO, Nammex Organic Mushroom Extracts, 1989 to present
- Organized the first Workshop for organic mushroom certification in China, 1997
- Presentations at the International Society for Mushroom Science in 2016 and the International Medicinal Mushroom Conference in 2019.
- Interviewed on hundreds of podcasts
Jeff’s Writing & Publications
- Book co-author, The Mushroom Cultivator, 1983
Published, peer-reviewed papers:
- Chilton J. Commercial Sample Identification and Characterization Challenges in Medicinal Mushroom Research. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2016;18(3):203-4. doi: 10.1615/IntJMedMushrooms.v18.i3.20. PMID: 27481153.
- Ming D, Chilton J, Fogarty F, Towers GH. Chemical constituents of Ganoderma applanatum of British Columbia forests. Fitoterapia. 2002 Apr;73(2):147-52. doi: 10.1016/s0367-326x(02)00013-8. PMID: 11978429.
- Bok JW, Lermer L, Chilton J, Klingeman HG, Towers GH. Antitumor sterols from the mycelia of Cordyceps sinensis. Phytochemistry. 1999 Aug;51(7):891-8. doi: 10.1016/s0031-9422(99)00128-4.
- Published Editorials & Online Papers: