Real Mushrooms is committed to transparency, quality, and the utmost care in providing our customers with accurate knowledge. Our Science & Medical team ensures our products and the information about them meet the highest standards.
SCIENCE & MEDICAL TEAM
Dr. Mason Bresett, ND
Mason is Real Mushrooms’ naturopathic medical advisor and is a Naturopathic Doctor. He has a general family naturopathic practice in Sarnia, Ontario –The Health Creation Lab. He uses medicinal mushrooms, herbal medicine, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, nutrition, and mind-body medicine in his clinic to support his patients. He continues to provide up-to-date research and education for Real Mushrooms Practitioners – a group of health care professionals (MD’s, ND’s, DC’s, etc) using Real Mushrooms products in their practices. He is also actively working with medical doctors and oncologists setting up research studies using medicinal mushroom extracts.
Mason’s expertise helps us deliver the most accurate and trustworthy health and wellness information from a holistic perspective. His knowledge of plant medicine runs deep and he is passionate about helping the public discover the wonders and benefits of the plant and fungi world.
- Diploma of Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine
- Licensed naturopathic doctor in Ontario
- Bachelors of Kinesiology (Honours), Lakehead University
- Integrative Body Psychotherapy (In Progress; IBP is an integrative counseling approach using somatic therapy, breathwork, and mind-body medicine).
- Compassionate Inquiry (Dr. Gabor Mate)
- Smart Body, Smart Mind (Irene Lyon)
- Trauma-Informed Practitioner
- Internships in sports medicine, chronic illness, immune disorders, HIV, and mental health-focused care.
- Former practitioner educator for St. Francis Herb Farm
Jeff is the founder, president and CEO of Nammex as well as being Real Mushrooms’ founder, Skye Chilton’s, father. Jeff has been actively involved in studying, growing and researching mushrooms since 1973. In 1989, he founded Nammex, the leading supplier of functional organic mushroom ingredients to the Supplement, Nutraceutical and Food and Beverage industry. Throughout his career, Jeff has continually focused on quality. His published research on the medicinal compounds in mushrooms and his focus on developing testing methods to identify and measure these compounds has helped bring greater knowledge and integrity to the functional mushroom product category. His expertise in mushroom science, cultivation, and quality control helps Real Mushrooms deliver not only the highest quality products but the most reliable information about the medicinal constituents in mushrooms.
- Studied Ethno-mycology at the University of Washington, 1971
- Large scale commercial mushroom grower – Production manager 1973-1983
- Fellowship to the Dutch School for Mushroom Growers in 1976
- Founder and CEO, Nammex Organic Mushroom Extracts, 1989 to present
- Organized the first Workshop for organic mushroom certification in China, 1997
- Presentations at the International Society for Mushroom Science in 2016 and the International Medicinal Mushroom Conference in 2019.
- Interviewed on hundreds of podcasts
Jeff’s Writing & Publications
- Book co-author, The Mushroom Cultivator, 1983
- Published, peer-reviewed papers:
- Chilton J. Commercial Sample Identification and Characterization Challenges in Medicinal Mushroom Research. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2016;18(3):203-4. doi: 10.1615/IntJMedMushrooms.v18.i3.20. PMID: 27481153.
- Ming D, Chilton J, Fogarty F, Towers GH. Chemical constituents of Ganoderma applanatum of British Columbia forests. Fitoterapia. 2002 Apr;73(2):147-52. doi: 10.1016/s0367-326x(02)00013-8. PMID: 11978429.
- Bok JW, Lermer L, Chilton J, Klingeman HG, Towers GH. Antitumor sterols from the mycelia of Cordyceps sinensis. Phytochemistry. 1999 Aug;51(7):891-8. doi: 10.1016/s0031-9422(99)00128-4.
- Published Editorials & Online Papers: