We all love and adore adding our medicinal mushrooms to our favorite meals, coffee, tea, smoothies, chocolates and beyond! Well, another upcoming trend that I’m sure many of you are well aware of is beauty care products that use medicinal mushrooms like chaga, reishi, maitake, shiitake, and tremella. I have been intrigued by this idea for some time of adding mushroom extracts to body care. I felt inspired and curious to explore this idea some more!
This first edition is a classic skin balm that can serve many applications. It’s rich in shea, cacao butter, and coconut oil. These stable and soothing fats help nourish and moisturize dry skin. The addition of Chaga, which contains these unique compounds called SOD (superoxide dismutase) and melanin, which further boosts its skin nourishment and protective factors from everyday stressors like environmental toxins, UV light, dehydration, and nutrient-poor food. This skin food can really help during those times when you are putting your skin through the wringer! I hope you like it! If you make it be sure to tag us. We would love to see it! :)
Chaga Skin Food
- 9 Tbsp shea butter
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp cacao butter
- 10 drops each of Peppermint and Eucalyptus oil (feel free to experiment with different essential oil blends here!)
- 2 tsp Real Mushrooms Chaga extract
- Using the double boiler method. Add the shea, cacao, and coconut oil. Melt at low heat until everything is mixed just right. Be mindful not to turn the heat up too much!
- Next, add your desired essential oils and chaga powdered extract. Use a whisk to combine everything nicely. Once you have done so. Pour into a small mason jar or some other fun creative jar you intend to use! Store in the refrigerator. It will need at least a 2-4 hours to solidify. You can then store at room temperature. This will keep for roughly a couple of years. ENJOY!!
Matt Oliphant is Community Manager at Real Mushrooms. He is a human performance consultant, spartan athlete and fitness enthusiast that competes in various spartan races, tough mudders and trail running competitions.
“I’m an avid amateur photographer and mushroom forager. I have always been fascinated by the mind and body and what it can do. I love and thrive off of helping people get the most out of their mind and body by using the latest and most cutting edge techniques, bio-hacks, nutrition optimization, fitness styles and much more. For me, it’s much more than the physical. It’s total mind, body, and spirit optimization. This is my purpose and flow in life and what I hope to inspire in the world.”