All the comforting taste of a Chai Latte, with health-boosting Chaga mushroom extract, in an easy 5-minute, dairy-free recipe.
Sweet, spicy, nourishing comfort. What’s not to love in a Chai Latte?
We decided to take that love even further and bring you a healthy Chai Latte recipe that is easy, gut-friendly, dairy-free, and boosted with Chaga Mushroom to take the anti-inflammatory and digestive benefits to the next level.
What you end up with is a medicinal, anti-inflammatory Chaga Chai Latte that nourishes your gut, while at the same time nourishing your pleasure senses.
Let’s dive into the details.
Health Benefits of Chaga Mushroom
This simple Chaga Chai Latte recipe is not only pleasurable to drink, but while you’re sipping away, it’s providing your gut with some key nutrients it needs to optimize its health. In fact, the unique components of Chaga actually help to improve the number of your beneficial gut bugs, while limiting the number of pathogenic ones.
Besides acting as a prebiotic food source for your gut microbiome, the immense load of antioxidants in Chaga can further benefit your gut health. This is due to the fact that antioxidants can help to reduce inflammation, and inflammation in the gut is the root of various digestive complaints.
Anti-inflammatory – check.
Gut health – check.
Pleasurable to drink – check.
Easy to make – check.
Did we miss anything? Oh yes. This recipe is made with no weird preservatives, additives, or heavy doses of refined sugar that are often found in coffee shop Chai Lattes.
And that’s a healthy trend we like. So in that same boat, our Real Mushrooms Chaga (as with all our products) is made with absolutely no preservatives, additives, starches, or fillers that are often founded in powdered mushroom extracts.
All that to say, this healthy Chaga Chai Latte ticks all the boxes, making it a nourishing, comforting drink to weave into your everyday routine.
Other Ingredients & Recipe Notes
- We used almond milk, but you can use whatever non-dairy milk you like! If you’re not dairy-free, you can of course use dairy milk.
- We used black tea, but if you’re avoiding caffeine, feel free to use decaf black tea or leave the tea out altogether. You will still have a delicious, nourishing drink. We don’t recommend using Chai Tea Bags, unless you like very spicy drinks.
- The cinnamon, ginger, and clove not only provide health benefits, but also bring you the pleasing, spicy flavor found in Chai Lattes.
- For the sweetener, we recommend using your favorite. If you like sugar-free, you can use stevia drops, monk fruit, or birch xylitol. Coconut sugar and maple syrup are other great options if you’re not going for sugar-free. A major bonus of making this easy Chai latte at home is that you’re controlling the amount of sugar to your preference.
- two cups to serve
- spoon, measuring cups
- ice, if serving iced
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for the Chaga Chai Latte
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (we used almond milk)
- 2 black tea bags*
- 1 tsp Real Mushrooms Chaga
- 2 heaping tsp ground cinnamon (a little less than 1 TB)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch or 1/8 tsp of ground cloves
- pinch of real salt
- 2-3 TB favorite sweetener (we’d start off with 2 and add more to taste)
- ice (if serving iced)
- optional: coconut whip cream to serve
Directions for the Chaga Chai Latte
- Heat up your almond milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to slightly simmer.
- Turn off the heat and place two black tea bags into the heated almond milk. After 3-5 minutes, remove the teabags.*
- Add the Chaga, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, and your favorite sweetener. Stir until combined over medium-high heat.
- Taste and adjust for the sweetness level.
- Enjoy hot or iced!**
- Top with coconut whip cream if desired.
*If you’re trying to avoid caffeine, you can use decaf black tea or just leave the tea out altogether and skip step 2.
** For the iced version, let the brewed chai completely cool and pour over a glass of ice.
Enjoy this Anti-inflammatory Healthy Chai Latte Recipe in good health
Never underestimate the power of the simple pleasure found in sipping a nourishing beverage, especially when the beverage is loaded with health-boosting ingredients.
But, the only caveat is, you have to actually slow down enough to appreciate the nourishment.
Yes, this is an incredibly easy recipe that comes together in 5 minutes, but that just leaves more time for you to hit the pause button and enjoy drinking it.
Smell the sweet and spicy aroma, breathe, and take some time out of the hustle and bustle of your schedule – just for yourself, to be with your thoughts, your breath, and your beverage.
P.S. It’s especially enjoyable sipping out in nature.
Easily give your other recipes a power boost
If you don’t want to use Chaga, you can easily try out one of our other functional mushroom extracts. There are wonderful options, each with their own unique profiles and benefits. To learn more, you can read our article which highlights the top 7 benefits of the main medicinal mushrooms. These different mushroom extracts can easily be added to whatever you’re cooking up in the kitchen.
Join the mushroom recipe challenge! Get creative in the kitchen with different ways to get more mushrooms in your diet. Invent your own recipe and share via insta @realmushrooms. We will feature the winner’s recipe on the blog & give you a coupon for any Real Mushroom product of your choice!
*Disclaimer: The statements made in this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is intended for educational purposes. The information is not intended to replace medical advice offered by licensed medical physicians. Please consult your doctor or health practitioner for any medical advice.