Medicinal Mushrooms are the perfect companion to boost the health factor of homemade dark chocolate. The natural earthy and bitter flavors of mushrooms compliments the notes of dark chocolate so well. The biggest thing to make sure here is that you select at least 70% or richer cacao to take of advantage of the polyphenols present in chocolate. Plus, these bark/bars will naturally be lower in sugar and dairy. This wonderful recipe by Heather Hendricks shows just that! ENJOY!!!
– ½ Cup Cocoa Butter
– ½ Cup Raw Cacao Powder
– 1 tsp Acerola Powder
– 1 tsp Maca Powder
– 2 Tbsp Cup Pure Maple Syrup
– 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Pinch of real salt (optional)
– Raw cacao nibs
– Hemp Seeds
– Goji Berries
– Pumpkin Seeds
– Sunflower Seeds
(goji berries, sunflower & pumpkin seeds pre-crushed separately using a ninja/blender)
- Melt cocoa butter on stovetop in a double boiler (or glass bowl over a pot).
- In a separate bowl, mix Reishi, Acerola, Maca (or other superfoods of choice).
- Once cocoa butter is melted, add cacao, maple syrup and salt. Whisk together well.
- Once blended, remove from heat and add the Reishi, Acerola, and Maca powders. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into parchment paper-lined containers.
- Add your extras as desired (seeds, nuts, fruit, etc.). Stir in with a fork and add more as a topping if desired.
- Place in the fridge or freezer. Takes about an hour to set. Continue to store in fridge or freezer.
I’m a busy stay-at-home mom with 2 young kids and a passion for natural health. Having a household with food allergies and other dietary needs has led me to be creative in the kitchen. Food doesn’t have to be the enemy. In fact, it’s quite the opposite when you are using the right foods! I love taking conventional recipes and giving them a make-over, not only to be allergy-friendly but to have powerful health benefits!