Medicinal Mushrooms are the perfect companion to boost the health factor of homemade dark chocolate. The natural earthy and bitter flavors of mushrooms compliment the notes of dark chocolate very well. The biggest thing to make sure here is that you select at least 70% or richer cacao to take of advantage of the polyphenols present in chocolate. Plus, these bark/bars will naturally be lower in sugar and dairy. This wonderful recipe by Heather Hendricks shows just that! ENJOY!!!
- ½ Cup Cocoa Butter*
- ½ Cup Raw Cacao Powder*
- 1 tsp Real Mushroom Reishi Powder
- 1 tsp Acerola Powder
- 1 tsp Maca Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of real salt (optional)
*Alternatively, use 1 Cup of dark chocolate such as Real Mushrooms’ chocolate with 5 Defenders.
- Raw cacao nibs
- Hemp Seeds
- Goji Berries
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
(goji berries, sunflower & pumpkin seeds pre-crushed separately using a ninja/blender)
- Melt cocoa butter on stovetop in a double boiler (or glass bowl over a pot).
- In a separate bowl, mix Reishi, Acerola, Maca (or other superfoods of choice).
- Once cocoa butter is melted, add cacao, maple syrup and salt. Whisk together well.
- Once blended, remove from heat and add the Reishi, Acerola, and Maca powders. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into parchment paper-lined containers.
- Add your extras as desired (seeds, nuts, fruit, etc.). Stir in with a fork and add more as a topping if desired.
- Place in the fridge or freezer. Takes about an hour to set. Continue to store in fridge or freezer.
*Disclaimer: The statements made in this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information in this article is intended for educational purposes. The information is not intended to replace medical advice offered by licensed medical physicians. Please consult your doctor or health practitioner for any medical advice.